Monday, August 23, 2021

Another friend just dumped me.  I felt surprised.  I was eagerly anticipating the difficult but meaningful conversation we would have about a kitten she got from my farm.  So the computer message she sent me came as a real shock.  There was no kind, open discussion, seeking to understand another's perspective.  She was just done.  And it feels so good to be ok.  I guess she wasn't a friend like I had imagined.  

    Cats.  

    I want wild cats on my farm.  I love cats.  There have been cats in my life since I was a baby. When I went out on my own I got a pet cat from the shelter.  Then another.  I've always had cats.  I love cats.  I'm not a real dog person, I'm a cat person.  

    Living in the little yellow house in a city brought Sweet Pea into my life.  She was the oldest cat at the shelter and I adopted her because I wanted to give her a chance.  I didn't need a cat to live a long time and I wanted to free a cat from the shelter, offer her a home.  My plan was to just adopt another old cat when Sweet Pea died as I knew she would.  Animals die.  So I wanted to give her a nice loving home for the relatively short time she had left.  Sweet Pea was beautiful, with all black long hair.  We were great friends.  

    A housemate came into my and Sweet Pea's lives and left behind her kitty Arbor.  Arbor was also a great cat and I loved him.  Then somebody started peeing on my bath towels in the linen closet.  I felt inspired to put the cats outside.  I felt certain that God had invented cats before humans began living in houses with linen closets.  I knew the cats would be fine outside.  My backyard became an episode of National Geographic as I wandered over to see what was happening to Sweet Pea as she let out a tremendous growl.  Half eaten mouse.  Sweet Pea, my tired old, fixed house cat had caught a mouse and was supplementing her diet of the expensive organic, mostly meat dry cat food that I fed her.  Very good.  The cat seemed really happy, fulfilled and I was happy for her.  I wanted her out of the cage she was in at the shelter so she could live a happy cat life.  I felt confident that Sweet Pea knew best what

No comments:

Post a Comment