Wednesday, March 2, 2022

earth

  I love living connected to mother earth.  It’s not a liberal, hippie phrase I use, mother earth.  After more than 10 years living on this farm, when I write or say mother earth, I am referring to an intimate partner in my life.  Just as some would say my child Louis, or, Lisa my mom, I say mother earth.  This creature cares for me by providing ground for my feet to walk on.  She feeds me and my child wonderful, delicious, abundant food.  She dazzles my eyes every morning with her atmosphere changing color from dark darkness, to subtle dark blue, lightening bluish-grey, pink, orange, and finally to the most brilliant sky blue anywhere “on the planet”.  At night she rests in her perfect orbit under a blanket of fantastic bright, twinkling stars, set for me to gaze upon.  Mother earth is my home and she ties me to everyone else.

Inviting people to the farm for a visit feels like an offer to return home.  They usually have their own place to call home but this farm is a piece of mother earth that demonstrates what their planet can look like in her freedom.  Yes, she remains your home with cement sidewalks and pavement, but come here to see your home when she’s allowed to be free.  It’s just a way of getting to know her more deeply.  This place isn’t the correct way for humans to live on earth, but it is a chance for humans to deepen their relationship with her.  Walking through the fields and the woods here shows a person how beautiful and peaceful and abundant their home is capable of being.  

I love living on Mother Earth.  I love how big she is.  I love knowing that anywhere “in the world” there are people I have never met, who live on the mother earth that I call home.  We humans are connected by this great being that travels through the sky around the sun.  She holds us and feeds us and offers a home to the birds who sing and decorate the sky.  I have lived here my whole life, on this planet, and it feels so good to begin deepening my relationship with earth.  At 47 years old, I can now see how the sunshine looks different in the early spring than it did in the winter.  Intellectually I could explain that the angle of the earth relative to the sun has shifted in those few months, but now I can see it with my eyes.  I experience the subtle differences in sunshine.  I know that the sunshine shines differently now than it did a few months ago.  Wow.  Its like reading about cheese for years, never having tasted it, and then eating cheese for the very first time.  Yum!  


No comments:

Post a Comment